Saturday, August 2, 2008

Caught Off-Guard

I was called out and lost some book-selling cred this afternoon. Asked if we were having a party for the new book in the Inheritance Cycle, rather than admit that I didn't know the Inheritance Cycle by that name, I stabbed in the dark to see if he meant to ask if we were having a Breaking Dawn Party. Swing and a miss. Ignorance displayed on two best-selling YA series.

In my defence, it was kind of noisy in the store, I've been thinking more in the realm of maritime titles than YA Blockbusters, and I had just sold 5 copies of Breaking Dawn in the previous 10mins. But, ultimately, I failed this caller.

So, caller from this afternoon, I can say that I've learned from my faux pas. From this moment on, I will no longer irreverently refer to the Inheritance Cycle as "the Eragon books." I will be able to say that we are taking pre-orders for Brisingr, but, at this time, we have no special party in the works. Please keep reading and please continue to support local booksellers, even if we may be caught off-guard (say in a noisy store) from time to time.

No comments: